Icewine Discovery Tour 2023
Niagara on the Lake is a special place at this time of the year. Join us as we guide you to six of our favourite local wineries as you enjoy a delectable food and Icewine pairing at each location.... what better what to spend a winter weekend with friends and family?? We will pick you up from your local hotel, B&B, or house, and drive you around Niagara on the Lake as you sample the very best of Niagara's "Liquid Gold" Icewine and some scrumptious culinary delights.... YUM! Check out the link below to book!
Icewine is a type of dessert wine which is produced from grapes that freeze naturally on the vines. The sugars and other dissolved solids do not freeze whilst the water within each berry does, this allows for a far more concentrated juice to develop. The conditions surrounding the production of Icewine are strictly regulated in that specific low temperatures have to be achieved whilst harvesting the grapes. Once the grapes are harvested they must be pressed whilst still frozen, meaning that the small amount of “nectar” that comes from each grape is much more concentrated and sweet.
Icewine is characterised by its refreshing sweetness along with a balance of high acidity. Niagara on the Lake is one of the few regions in the world that consistently produces an Icewine Vintage each year. You will find Icewines from this region predominantly from Vidal and Cabernet Franc grapes although some wineries have become more adventurous with the varietals that are used in the production of Icewine. My personal favourite is the Gewürztraminer Icewine that can be found at some wineries such as Jackson Triggs and Pillitteri. This particular Icewine is characterised through distinctly tropical notes such as Mango and Pineapple along with some other stone fruits and pairs incredibly with Blue Cheese!
Icewine can be used in a variety of ways as well as being enjoyed on its own.
A few of our favourite recipes are;
- 1oz Niagara Icewine
- 1 ½ oz Premium Vodka
- 1 Spash Club Soda
- 2 Frozen Grapes, for Garnish
- Shake the Icewine and Vodka in a Cocktail Shaker
- Strain into a Chilled Martini Glass
- Top with Splash of Club Soda
- Garnish with Frozen Grapes
icewine served with bacon wrapped blue cheese stuffed dates
- 1lb Sliced Bacon (Cut Slices in Half)
- 1lb Pitted Dates
- 4oz Blue Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice each Date in half and open them up.
- Add a small piece of Blue Cheese to the Centre of each Date.
- Close up the Date and wrap each one in a half-slice of Bacon.
- Secure each Date with a toothpick.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the bacon is crisp (Turn the Dates over after the first 20 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!